Our story began in the late 1930s, when
an ailing Adam Reiss, a German-Lutheran
who had moved from the Midwest to retire
in Coral Gables,
called his friend, Ida Cohen, to his bedside to tell her he wanted to donate $10,000 to a home for the aged in our community.
Ida took up his mission, and under her leadership ‘The Miami Jewish Home for the Aged’ was incorporated on July 25, 1940, with Ida Cohen serving as the first President.
From those beginnings, Miami Jewish Home and Hospital, as we came to be called, grew along with the burgeoning Miami community.
Led for many years by Judge Irving Cypen, the organization grew to include not only a nursing home, but also an on-campus hospital,
assisted and independent-living facilities, as well as began exploring innovative diversion programs such as the
Program for All-Inclusive Care (PACE) to deliver healthcare services to the local community.
Click Anywhere On This Page To Come Inside